Thread: Licensed Hikaru no Go
View Single Post
Old 2004-04-08, 22:20   Link #71
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asakura_Y0h
Anyway, wanna ask ppl... why is it that I can't plan ahead in go as well as I do in chess??? Ok... I admit, there's more combinations... but heck... how much do I have to play to get good? It only took me 3 months to get great at chess.. this is taking forever!!!!!! Does it really take a lifetime to master this game? Or do I just not have a thing for it and should give up? The worst I felt was one time, I was on a losing end... and the guy on yahoo resigned even though I was losing... made me feel pathetic... darn it...
Well that's hard to say, since it's based on how adept you are at go. I've only been playing go for a few months, yet I'm already better at it than I am at chess, which I've been playing since I was 8. Chess there's a limited number of good moves that can be made each turn. Look at the opening move for example. In chess there are a number of moves you can make, but only 4 or 6, depending on who you ask, that are considered good. In go, there are at least 21 possible opening moves that can be considered good. Thus reading ahead in go is quite different than it is in chess. In chess you can eliminate most possible moves as being bad ideas and then read out how the board will develop though all likely moves. In go, there are too many possible moves to do this, except in certain circumstances like joseki or the endgame, so one must look at the patterns of stones to read lay out instead of doing it move by move. This is also why computers can't be programed to play go on the same level as they can with chess. Don't give up though, eventually you'll start to break the habits you developed for chess that don't work well in go, and get quite a bit better, almost overnight.
As for the guy who resigned, at least you still get credit for a win.