Thread: Macross - Q & A
View Single Post
Old 2008-04-20, 21:58   Link #59
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synria_ View Post
Alright guys, I hear a lot about Macross Frontier, but I am hesitant to watch. I look at the timeline for this series and there a lot of Macross series' before this. Can anyone tell me (based on the eps released so far) if I would be completely lost, or is it watchable standalone? Does Macross Frontier use references to previous series a lot? Or is everything self evident/explanatory?
From the FAQ:
Quote:
I've never watched a Macross show before, I need to have see them before watching Macross Frontier?
Probably not. So far, most Macross shows have been relatively separate from every other work so that no prior knowledge has been necessary to get into the story. There may be story elements that aren't fully explained initially, but they will probably be covered in enough detail in the show itself. As for the rest, that's pretty much the reason for this FAQ.
As it happens, there are quite a few nods to the previous Macross shows, but all the relevant details are described in Macross Frontier itself. Catching those nods leads to a richer viewing experience, but it's not a big deal if you don't. Also note that most of the viewers of Frontier probably haven't watch all of those previous works either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbduece View Post
Realitically i dont think most humans can handle that type of g-force during those intese dogfights. But then again they are crusing in outer space with some type of device that simulates gravity and some type of shielding to block off cosmic radiation.
Not only is artificial gravity technology implemented in UN Spacy ships, but it's also in effect in Valkyries as well (probably in the form of inertial dampeners). From the Macross Mecha Manual: the listed specs for the YF-19 are g limit: +31.0/- 18.5g. In modern fighter craft, these limits are generally set to +9.5/-3.5g because that's the maximum a human being can handle without suffering from blackout and redout. The only way to go beyond this would be to either artificially reduce the force exerted on the pilot or to reengineer human beings.