View Single Post
Old 2008-04-13, 12:10   Link #97
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanaya View Post
It IS a drastic change from what he was. Stop playing with words. SUZAKU'S CHANGE IS DRASTIC.

PERIOD.
Wouldn't that depend on what you see as his real personality? You could see the superficial facade he shows to everyone as his real personality, the one where he fights for justice and doing things the right way. If you do, then yes, that is a drastic change. But for me, his real personality was the one he was repressing, the one he was trying to deny by being a nice guy, the one who kept rationalizing his past actions and coming up with his excuses, so for me that isn't a drastic change at all.

Quote:
America killed Native Americans and did go about with lynching. And look at America now, it's NOT nearly as racist as it was long ago.

I never said there's no discrimination in America, I just said look at the past and the now, and discrimination isn't as plain blatant as it was back then. Hell, you could be sued for it and called a racist on national tv and get murdered socially for it.
I believe it still hasn't met your standards of total equality that may someday happen if Suzaku just keeps at doing his job, which is what I believe you were trying to invoke by bringing up the comparison? I don't know, but I just don't see it. Instead, what about a better example if the founding fathers of America had just decided to say 'dammit, we're not being represented but we'll stick with it and hopefully, there'll be no discrimination or violence anymore between us and Britain?'

Quote:
Suzaku's hope is in the change in others. He said it himself in episode 19 that he lacks a true goal for living but keeps moving forward because he needs to live for his crime (of killing his dad) and atone for it. Suzaku hopes to change others, and he also joined the army to lessen actual death.
This was after he was mindraped by Mao, where it was stated that he secretly wished to die. So I find it intr how you can suddenly bring up an instance that comes ages after he joins the army and say that 'yes, this is the reason why he joined the army. It was because he had hope' when that wasn't even his reason in the first place. Maybe he did have hope after the incident with Mao, but it seems more to me that he's sorta stuck where he is and he can not atone for his dad's death in any other way except to prove that it was hopeless to defy the britainnians.

And Jesus style of combat? You mean, not killing non-combatants indiscriminately? One would think that would be rather normal behaviour indeed for a grunt. Besides just because he doesn't kill civilians doesnt mean that he doesn't have a deathwish himself.

Quote:
But that doesn't change the fact that Schneizel is pragmatic enough to make inclusion of Numbers into the Empire a reality.
It also doesn't change the fact that Schneizel might not if there were other pragmatic reasons for him not to -_-

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote