View Single Post
Old 2008-04-10, 09:47   Link #55
KrimzonStriker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voduar View Post
The degree to which you are factually incorrect on this is physically unpleasant. Sorry, but that had to be said. That said, I am aware bringing even the shadow of reality into a story with an immortal pizza obsessed witch is somewhat iffy, so I will make my point brief.

If you want to see his command style differing from that of one that actually works, rewatch ep7. Alternatively, even in ep1 its questionable if people that actually fight would tolerate his capricious command style, though its a bit more forgiveable (for them) in sheer horrid desperation.

The point I am attempting to get across is that while one may treat one's troops as pieces on a board, they are in fact people. People with guns. People who need to have faith that you are acting in a best interest for their goals, diverse as those may be, conflict to conflict. If they do not believe you are acting in that interest, they will not fight. So, Lelouch's open disinterest in his own side is an unbelievably poor choice of flaws, as real humans will not tolerate being valued as pawns. They may BE pawns, but its a bad idea to remind them of that. The series steps back to believable when they get Todo on their side, as he probably buffers the orders a bit as they go down the line.

Anywho, for the most part I found Lelouch to be a good Greek tragedy character, as he has great qualities with incredible flaws. His success/downfall, should hopefully prove entertaining, especially if he does both.
I'm factually incorrect? Tell me what 'facts' have you presented? Because that's ultimately what we come back to, evidence from the series. If you want to stick by real world logic then that's fine too though.

Being a commander is being laden with responsibility, and getting close or emotionally attached to your subordinates is not one of them, nor when considering the collateral damage one needs to make in order to achieve ones defined objectives, because that clouds a persons judgment as noted when people he did care about got involved. If one weren't willing to sacrifice in order to complete their objectives then I would imagine we would have no war in general, because no one would be willing to fight it. Did they have faith in him even when he was disinterested with them personally? Yes they did, because of that one factor that any good commander needs above all else, being able to achieve results. If he didn't do that there would be no point in following him, but he does and that's enough for the Order to stick by him because he provides that chance for them to succeed. And when exactly does he remind them there just pawns? Does he ever actually call them that? No, he gave them specific combat designations and orders that allows them the obtain victory, and that is the fundamental necessity for any cohesive military unit. I don't see why you would condemn him for that, how he does things isn't something uncommon within any military force, its actually the structure in which they abide by, and probably the most fair and efficient way of carrying out their function, one based on skill and merit and nothing more.

In any event, how you view Lelouch is your own business, how you choose to portray him to others is another matter entirely, and in no way is your judgment suddenly the de-facto truth of who he actually is.
KrimzonStriker is offline   Reply With Quote