View Single Post
Old 2008-04-10, 09:15   Link #36
Kittie Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann of Thursday View Post
How many people in Japan know who Eris is then?
Probably quite a few given, as was pointed out.

Why would Japan know any less about greek mythology than americans? If anything, since they're "better" educated, they'd probably know more. Look at how often words like "Gaia" and "Odin" get thrown around in anime and Toku... they use it because it sounds cool, but they at least recognise the names.

Eris was the villain in the first Saint Seiya movie - Saint Seiya was huge at the time. Even it's action figures were so popular they spawned the currently popular line of Souchaku Henshin which was based on similar Saint Seiya figures that did the same thing with clothes.

Among people who watch a lot of anime, "Eris" would be familiar to them.

Wasn't there also a "Sailor Eris" that was to be used in Sailor Moon that spawned a lot of fanfics? I'm pretty sure there are a few other characters called "Eris" if you look around(google is poor for this though).

Quote:
There hasn't been a single reference to Greek mythology at one point in this series and it would be very odd to start with strong references like her being a goddess now.
Again, if she has some important shocking identity, I can't see how it could be anything else.

And as pointed out Eris, like Gaea, transcends greek mythology thanks to contemporary religions and fiction re-inventing them. "Eris" is a general spiritual figure. That makes it even MORE likely, as she is a more general concept, unlike the Norse Gods for example who are very specific.

Quote:
And honestly, the myth references are for show. They haven't been shown to mean a thing.
Where did they have an opportunity to begin with? It's primarily a sci-fi show, but we've gotten constant "Hints" of a mystical background to C.C. and the Geass.

So because we've had no real strong mystical elements, we'll never see them? I doubt it.

Quote:
Again, if that were the case what would her wish be?
... her wish? What? Presumably like any other vaguely humanoid being she just wants to feel love and belong and work around her flaws.

Quote:
For the record, who said the name was so important?
You are obviously way too literal mined and not really able to extrapolate this sort of thing, so I'm unsure why you're even in this debate.

If a name is made a point of, and is "muted out" as if it's OMG WTF SPOILERS, then it's important. I don't see what's so hard to understand about this.

Quote:
I wouldn't read too deeply in to the fact they muted out her name.
They're not only muting it, but had Lelouch rather taken aback by it, and have made a point of NOT telling us her name yet. She's obviously someone(as most likely is V.V.).
Kittie Rose is offline   Reply With Quote