View Single Post
Old 2008-03-25, 13:31   Link #150
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissieXD View Post
Honestly, this episode was exactly the same as all the rest of the Spice and Wolf episodes. Very one dimensional characters in a one dimensional plot. And I still have absolutely no idea what's going on with all of this complex logic and reasoning and backstabbing and all...

This show really isn't for me, and probably never will be. It's too complex of a show, and is really nothing of my expectations. I was hoping for a sad adventure story, and I got Death Note compressed into 13 episodes.

So, the actual episode gets a 5, as will the series, most likely.
The parody subs were good though. ^_^
I recognize the show isn't for many people... but I have to bite here: how is the show "too complex"?? yet has "1-d characters in a 1-d plot" with "complex logic and reasoning and backstabbing"?

Those are fundamentally contradictory assessments.

The plot *is* terribly compressed and hinges on some difficult economic concepts in the chess game of trading. But it also hinges on the relationship of Horo and Lawrence which I characterize as one of the more mature, subtly funny, and well-paced romances I've seen in anime.

Scrounging around I find a few good romances but they're mostly either highly comedic or simpler teenage emo/angst epics ... or sometimes both (Lovely Complex, REC, Honey&Clover, etc). This is one of the few where I feel like I'm listening to two *adults* slowly and steadily becoming enamored with each other.

There is a glimmer of "sad adventure story" ... but its in the long view of what will happen to the companionship of these two as they approach the north woods that Horo calls "home".

It may be that you just haven't had fun watching because you have trouble following the economic "battles" and that overwhelms the other plot elements for you. That's perfectly legitimate - especially when they're dancing through some of the exposition of the scheme so fast. If they'd had twice the episodes there may have been time for some humorous visual graphs or depictions of the scheme.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-03-25 at 18:37.