View Single Post
Old 2008-02-25, 18:07   Link #30
AlephNull

Thanks Matt

I know that the 私 is often implicit, but is Horo's voice in the prologue here unusually detached, compared to other such 'narrative thoughts' elsewhere? I haven't read enough of Japanese books in general to be able to judge. The reason why I'm asking this is because I don't know whether I should introduce 'I's in the translation. E.g. 'I think', 'I feel' etc for と思った. I'm also finding the line その雲の流れる先、北の故郷のことを思い出してため息をつく difficult to translate without introducing an 'I' or 'my'. If Horo's voice is indeed detached here, I'd like to keep it that way in the translation, just have her describe things but not draw the reader's attention to herself. This is the approach I'm currently going with, except for the last two lines of the first page, where she seems to 'come back down to earth', literally and figuratively. And yeah, her being a goddess lends more weight to this.

Is that flirtiness present in the prologue? I know it's present later on in her dialogues, but here her manner of speech (thought) seems pretty normal.
AlephNull is offline   Reply With Quote