View Single Post
Old 2008-01-07, 21:50   Link #48
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blick Winkel View Post
Are you sure they are encrypted and it's not the issue with (for example) different codec?
The wav sound files in question are nearly identical to their counterparts from the CD release Higurashi, except for the first 64 bytes, which are effectively "garbage".

The download-release Higurashi seems to use an overlaid software purchase manager (SOFT-Denchi) which is used for DRM, and 64 bytes is a common block size for encryption schemes, so I'm quite sure that's what's going on.

At the least, only the files in the WAV directory are affected; the files in the subdirectories WAV\LP and WAV\minigame are not encrypted.

I can suggest a temporary partial solution: download the Higurashi demo here and install it. Now, copy (or move) the top-level WAV directory to the folder that contains the higurashi translation patch files (NOT the original JP game); you don't need to include the subdirectories of WAV. This will at least take care of sound effects that show up in Onikakushi. There are other sounds that get used in the other 3 games, but at least this will take care of most of them.

Some of the sound effects files in the demo are different, but not so that it'd ruin your enjoyment, I think.

Hope this helps,

Mion (Sonozaki Futagotachi)