View Single Post
Old 2007-08-10, 00:21   Link #15
HunterRequiem
Resident cynic

Send a message via AIM to HunterRequiem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvyniled View Post
I'm inclined to agree with JagdPanther that Kallen is not all that interesting (but she is not bothersome at all for me). She's a generic fighter character: problematic background, skillful. determined, fights for her ideals, stubborn, etc. At times, she casts doubt on her current position, but for the most part it is entirely relative to her ideal - some sort of resolution for Elevens.

She's a buxom beauty who wields a gun. She is by no means as 'interesting' (not so much in a good way) as C.C.

Oddly, I find C.C. to be your typical "mystical girl" character. If CG was a comedy/romance, C.C. would be left high and dry. I think Kallen appears to be so flip-floppy (for lack of a better phrase) simply because she's been living two lives for quite awhile. I think part of the reason that Kallen seems so much like a cookie cutter chick-with-a-gun is because she consciously wants people to think that's what she is. Yes, she is fanatically obsessed with kicking Britiania out of Japan. Yes, she wants to make sure her brother didn't die in vain. She tells Suzuku in the island episode that her Japanese personality is her real personality. That said, we also see her worried about her first kiss, or Shirley running arround with her in a bathing suit. We see her seriously consider Lulouch romantically. Honestly, there are only two things I can think of that can tell us why she acted at the end of ep 25 in the way she did.
1) at the moment, Kallen was completely obsessed with battle, and beleives that Zero has abandoned her
2) The script writers have absolutely no idea what the hell they're doing.
If I was writing the script, Kallen's reaction would have been "Oh" accompanied by her connecting the dots. Kallen's character is much more complicated then a girl-with-a-gun; I personally don't think it suits her.

Also, we see the name Karen and Kallen. Kallen is her Japanese name/personality, and Karen is her Britanian name/personaility (or at least that's what I gathered from the translation). Seeing that she's pratically two people, I personally prefer to use whichever one fits the mood she is in, just like the difference between Lulouch/Zero. This is why LulouchxKaren and ZeroxKallen are two different categories.
HunterRequiem is offline   Reply With Quote