AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Activision/Blizzard MERGER (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=58854)

-Mad Skillz- 2007-12-02 22:52

Activision/Blizzard MERGER

Some pretty big news from the gaming world.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7123582.stm

Kang Seung Jae 2007-12-02 22:55

Korea's going to go nuts now.....

[DOT].L 2007-12-02 22:58

So, when are we going to get our Guitarcraft II?;)

Spectacular_Insanity 2007-12-02 23:20

Uh oh, they're going to conquer the gaming world! :p

d.sinclair 2007-12-02 23:26

^well, don't forget about EA..

Vexx 2007-12-03 00:11

The details of the merger don't give me great vibes but then my history with Activision is iffy and they appear to be on the upside of the merger (there's *always* a dominant/submissive in these things and someone's internal culture gets crushed).

jedinat 2007-12-03 01:40

Activision makes those games that get boring after a couple hours; Blizzard makes those games that suck people's lives away. A happy medium from now on?

Aoie_Emesai 2007-12-03 01:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedinat (Post 1281299)
Activision makes those games that get boring after a couple hours; Blizzard makes those games that suck people's lives away. A happy medium from now on?

So we are now gonna be bored with very long games, eh ^^?

Seditary 2007-12-03 02:50

Or get sucked away for only a couple hours?

MaxwellDemon 2007-12-03 04:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seditary (Post 1281357)
Or get sucked away for only a couple hours?

Naw, a few hours isn't enough. BlizzVision games will suck your life entirely away. :heh:

It sounds like a good news to me though. I have been very fond of both companies for their games(though Activision is more of a past thing :p). :)

2H-Dragon 2007-12-03 05:13

Isn't necessarily a bad thing. You just have to ignore the fake sequels. And focus on the real sequels and the games made by the blizzard team. It's not that hard to find out what is made by who. :P

Kaioshin Sama 2007-12-03 05:16

Activision is in my top 3 worst video game companies along with THQ and EA (used to be Acclaim). I have never played any game by Activision that has been particularly remarkable. I don't like that they seemingly resort to licenses in order to make a profit rather then solid programming, expansive gaming worlds with lots of detail and backstory, developer talent and new ideas. Blizzard has taken part in revolutions in Strategy, Dungeon Crawling and MMORPG games, but what does Activision have to offer that nobody else can do? This seems like a really odd pairing.

2H-Dragon 2007-12-03 05:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama (Post 1281468)
Activision is in my top 3 worst video game companies along with THQ and EA (used to be Acclaim). I have never played any game by Activision that has been particularly remarkable. I don't like that they seemingly resort to licenses in order to make a profit rather then solid programming, expansive gaming worlds with lots of detail and backstory, developer talent and new ideas. Blizzard has taken part in revolutions in Strategy, Dungeon Crawling and MMORPG games, but what does Activision have to offer that nobody else can do? This seems like a really odd pairing.

Well with money involved nothing is a odd paring.

Seditary 2007-12-03 05:57

Money is the root of all evil.

Tormenk 2007-12-03 06:21

Well this is certainly something but I don't get a good feeling out of this at all. :heh:

The love of money is the root of all evil. ;)

Solace 2007-12-03 07:03

Quote:

I don't like that they seemingly resort to licenses in order to make a profit rather then solid programming, expansive gaming worlds with lots of detail and backstory, developer talent and new ideas.

When millions of dollars in development are riding on the line of shareholder expectation, taking a risk on an unproven property is not something that happens often unless they decide to put something out to test the waters and it gets early buzz.

Although I do agree with your feelings, in reality most new and unique properties end up getting passed over because they don't appeal to Joe Average consumer who wants the latest sequel to last years games.

So about the merger. Eh, whatever. We'll find out how deep this affects Blizzard even though they are claiming it will be business as usual. The whole thing reeks of the Sony-Sigil deal however.

Edgewalker 2007-12-03 11:36

This is probably going to be a bad thing.

aohige 2007-12-03 11:48

Quote:

Yes, it does seem like an odd pairing.
On one hand, you have a giant company who's infamous for "sucky games".
On the other hand, you have a reputable company who cranks out masterpiece games one after another, and is one of the best, if not the best, computer game developers in the world.

Beauty and the Beast?

Papaya 2007-12-03 13:34

Blizzard's going downhill too =P

The lead designer for Starcraft 2 used to work for EA (Dustin Browder). EA, of all companies. He was responsible for amazingly balanced RTS games like Battle for Middle Earth II.

That was sarcasm, if you couldn't tell = (

Silasj 2007-12-03 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by [DOT].L (Post 1281109)
So, when are we going to get our Guitarcraft II?;)

Holy shit I lol'ed!!!