AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   One Piece (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   (L) One Piece Live Action series [Netflix] (Season 2 confirmed) (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=157442)

marvelB 2021-11-11 11:27

One Piece Live Action series [Netflix] (Season 2 confirmed)

Well, no point in delaying this any further, I suppose.... especially now that the main cast has been confirmed. So yeah, the title's pretty self-explanatory: OP is getting a live action adaption! Gonna reserve my judgment for now since the project is still in its early stages. At least we know Oda gave the show his blessing, so... I guess there's that? :heh: That being said, discuss away!

Dynamic tag cannot be rendered. (PrintableThread)
Edit: An addendum, courtesy of OH&S:

Quote:

Originally Posted by OH&S (Post 6492190)
As it hasn't been brought up, I would like to bring to attention the legendary Reverie stream from September 21, 2020 in which the top YouTube One Piece reviewers/reactors gathered together for a big One Piece discussion but then got a surprise visit by the writer of the One Piece live action series: Matt Owens.

In my opinion, this discussion/interview is essentially recommended viewing in order to get a more clearer grasp on what's going on behind the scenes of the live action series. Its very revealing of some of the considerations being made as well as the thought processes governing the writing.

Matt Owens comes on at 54:35 and leaves at 1:52:15 (but I think 1:53:37 is a good stopping point for the lolz).

grecefar 2021-11-12 04:52

It could've been worse to be honest, this cast makes me willing to give it a chance.

Theia_Loki 2021-11-14 20:30

I just pray that nothing akin to stuff like Faye's "actress" from the Netflix Cowboy Bebop series and her antics (plus hypocrisy) doesn't come up.
It's going to be... interesting to see how they manage to pull off Luffy's Gomu Gomu no Mi abilities, or Zoro's Santoryu Swordsmanship skills.

itachi-san314 2021-11-14 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by grecefar (Post 6491969)
It could've been worse to be honest, this cast makes me willing to give it a chance.

Yea, the cast seems appropriate. I'll give it a shot too

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theia_Loki (Post 6492169)
It's going to be... interesting to see how they manage to pull off Luffy's Gomu Gomu no Mi abilities, or Zoro's Santoryu Swordsmanship skills.

I always thought Luffy made a live action show impossible since it would be too silly, but I could see how they could make his ability look slick if shot and edited right with some solid sound effects. I think this is a good case of "less is more". Probably goes for most DF abilities in the series. The logias will likely be cool tho

Diluc 2021-11-14 20:54

When Holywood and Netflix will learn that there is anime that cannot be adapted into live action?

OH&S 2021-11-15 06:08

As it hasn't been brought up, I would like to bring to attention the legendary Reverie stream from September 21, 2020 in which the top YouTube One Piece reviewers/reactors gathered together for a big One Piece discussion but then got a surprise visit by the writer of the One Piece live action series: Matt Owens.

In my opinion, this discussion/interview is essentially recommended viewing in order to get a more clearer grasp on what's going on behind the scenes of the live action series. Its very revealing of some of the considerations being made as well as the thought processes governing the writing.

Matt Owens comes on at 54:35 and leaves at 1:52:15 (but I think 1:53:37 is a good stopping point for the lolz).

If marvelB could append this info to the first post, that would be swell.

itachi-san314 2021-11-15 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diluc (Post 6492172)
When Holywood and Netflix will learn that there is anime that cannot be adapted into live action?

Anything can be made into a good live action, it's just that anime usually isn't done well or with a big budget. Apparently, this OP show has a huge budget. They know the popularity of the franchise, so so far it seems like they're not messing around

grecefar 2021-11-15 16:37

And it seems oda is involved and is ok with this so...

necrolyte 2021-11-15 16:58

I am happy to see that you guys are optimistic about this but judging from my past experience I wouldn't raise my expectations just yet. Still, I would love to see a good OP adaptation with nice budget (crossing fingers)

Tuor 2021-11-15 18:40

I'm sure it will be at least as good as Dragonball: Evolution!

marvelB 2021-11-16 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by OH&S (Post 6492190)
If marvelB could append this info to the first post, that would be swell.

Done! Thanks for posting this! ;)

Hoodspirit 2021-11-16 14:26

I'm pretty possitive about the live action. The actors have the potential to play the characters in a satisfying way and I don't need a 1 to 1 adaption if the main beats/emotions are there.
Only thing I'm a bit worried about is chemnistry between the actors. The age gap between Luffy's actor and Nami's actress is a whole decade after all. Might be hard for a natural closeness. And even with script changes a lot of East Blue rests on the development of understanding between Luffy and Nami. There were often times they were alone in which Nami learned what Luffy's version of a pirate and treasure is (Treasure-Straw Hat talk in the house, Shushu's burning shop+its revenge, Straw hat damage in the Buggy fight, refusal to give Gaimon the treasure chests, after the Kuro fight). All needed to build up the "help me" moment, which is the climax of the East Blue Saga.

Rainbowman 2022-01-30 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by itachi-san314 (Post 6492207)
Anything can be made into a good live action, it's just that anime usually isn't done well or with a big budget. Apparently, this OP show has a huge budget. They know the popularity of the franchise, so so far it seems like they're not messing around

Such wise words that I can take to heart. :cool:

Ramero 2022-01-30 19:24

I wonder how Oda would make a live-action of Zoro vs Sanji.

Kanon 2022-02-05 18:07

I can't think of any conceivable way this could turn out to be good. One Piece is probably the one manga that just can't work in live action. The story is going to be butchered because they obviously can't afford to give it hundreds of episodes. Speaking of which, even with the highest budget a TV series had ever gotten, this would still be unable to do the manga justice. The characters are constantly traveling and going to very different places, and you'd also need a lot of budget for the special effects.

I don't know why they're bothering.

Hoodspirit 2022-11-22 13:36

Looks like Oda is having regular online meetings and checks if scenes carry the creator's intent according to a podcast with Ted Biasell (Director of Original Series Netflix) and corrects the Netflix team if they got it wrong.

One Piece was just a very brief side-topic for liek 3 minutes, so that was pretty much the only mention of it.

grecefar 2022-11-22 14:09

It's good that the creator is involved and the director ask for his advice, means that they really want to do a good job.

OH&S 2023-01-16 20:38

Matt Owens with Nux Taku talking about terrible live-action and anime adaptations:
Matt Owens' comments regarding the Live Action in the most recent Reverie:
Dynamic tag cannot be rendered. (PrintableThread) .

CrowKenobi 2023-01-31 12:30

Live-Action One Piece Series' Visual Reveals 2023 Debut

CrowKenobi 2023-05-06 00:07

Eiichiro Oda Shares Update on Live-Action One Piece Series, Confirms 8-Episode Count